For this assignment:
- Review the DSM-5 Abnormal Psychology by Ronald Comer of unipolar depression in Chapter 8.
- Review the articles, “Assessment of Childhood Depression” and “Pediatric Antidepressant Use After the Black-Box Warning,” paying particular attention to the discussion of antidepressant use in children and adolescents, as well as associated risk factors and alternative treatment methods.
- Review the abstract of the article from the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) that includes a meta-analytic review of randomized clinical trials of antidepressant use with children and adolescents. click here for more information on this paper
- Access and review the article “Epidemiology of Depression and Suicide” listed in the Learning Resources, focusing on the section titled “Age-related demographics.”
- Watch the PBS NewsHour segment on the risk of suicide in adolescents who are taking antidepressant medications. The link to this video segment is included in the required Learning Resources list.
The assignment: (2 pages)
- Based on your review of these materials above, appraise the current research evidence regarding suicide risks associated with the use of antidepressant medications in the treatment of depression in children and adolescents. In your response, answer the following questions:
- What preconceptions, if any, did you bring to this controversial issue, perhaps based on your personal experiences or the experiences of family members, friends, or other loved ones?
- Evaluate the materials related to antidepressant use in children and adolescents. What did you find surprising? What did you find disturbing? What other reactions did you have to these materials? click here for more information on this paper
- What are your now more informed thoughts about this controversial issue? Should these medications continue to be used with depressed children and adolescents? Why or why not? What alternative treatments might you consider? Explain and justify your stance on this issue.
Support your written Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation.You are asked to provide and use at least two references of those listed above plus the required reference of the Ronald Cromer Abnormal Psychology DSM-5 (2013-2014). Any other referereces for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course please provide references.