The first short essay assignment may be a reaction paper reflecting on the YouTube video on The History of Slavery in America, or the Biography video Frederick Douglassby A&E Home Video (1994); a short essay on African Americans and the Civil War(Williams and Farrar; on D2L); or, a short essay on Frederick Douglass the abolitionistand humanist (Rachelle C. Prioleau; on D2L).
Three weeks into the course, we have been exposed to several readings that comment on slavery, Frederick Douglass, and African Americans and the American civil war. We have also screened two videos on slavery, and Frederick Douglass. We have also discussed African Americans and the civil war via the article by Williams and Farrar. This assignment requires you to reflect on those videos, and the discussions which followed, to write and submit online a three-page paper.
Please select one of the five questions under “Questions to consider” and write a three-page (reaction) paper (650 words minimum) that answers the question and issues therein and, conforms to the guidelines provided in the D2L “Handy-Dandy Guide to Writing a Reaction Paper”. This assignment is due by midnight on Wednesday, October 28, 2014 to avoid late penalty (tba).
Questions to consider
- Using the paper by Williams and Farrar (2005) or any other sources available to you, write a short essay that explains why the civil war of 1861-1865 was fought and what role African Americans played in the cause of the war and/or ending of the war.
click here for more information on this paper
- The paper by Rachelle C. Prioleau calls Frederick Douglass an abolitionist and a humanist. Who is Frederick Douglass? Why do Prioleau and others call him abolitionist and humanist? Please explain by citing specific evidence and/or examples.
- Write a short reaction paper on the YouTube video (see http://youtu.be/pDukq8npXBk) about the history of slavery in America. What new things did you learn from the video about slavery in America? How would you rate the video as a device for learning about slavery?
- Write a short reaction paper on the video about Frederick Douglass (see From Slave to Abolitionist, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj-gz3u-1jM). What new things did you learn from the video about Douglass and the times he lived in? How would you rate the video as a device for learning about Douglass and his times?
- Why study African American history? Using the paper by Clarke, “Why Africana History?” and any other resources available to you, write a short essay the benefits of studying African American history. What new things did you learn from Clarke’s paper about African American history, American history, etc?