Write a 750-1,000-word rhetorical analysis essay of a public document. This public document is the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) website on Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) found at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/facts.html.Your analysis should include at least TWO scholarly sources outside of class texts.
Complete a close reading of the assigned public document. Then, write a cohesive essay that:
1. Introduces and summarizes the CDC website on ADHD in the introductory paragraph and ends with a thesis statement.
2. Analyzes the rhetorical tools used on the site, the CDC’s use of ethos, pathos, and logos.
3. Evaluates the site’s effectiveness.
This essay is NOT simply an expository or descriptive essay or an analysis of ADHD. It is an analysis of the site and how effectively the site uses rhetorical tools to get its point across.
First Draft Grading
· You will receive completion points for the first draft based upon the successful submission of your draft.
· Because your first draft is a completion grade, do not assume that this grade reflects or predicts the final grade. If you do not consider your instructor’s comments, you may be deducted points on your final draft.
Final Draft Grading
The essay will be graded using a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations.
· Include in-text citations and a References page in GCU Style for at least TWO scholarly sources outside of class texts.
· These sources should be used to support any claims you make and should be present in the text of the essay.
· Use the GCU Library to help you find sources.
· Include this research in the paper in a scholarly manner.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the GCU Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
· You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
· Please be sure to review your Turnitin score before submitting the draft to your instructor.
Preparing to Write the Essay
Read the site closely:
1. Read the webpage on Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) found at http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/facts.html
o Do a first reading that uses underlining, annotation, and summary to make sure you understand what the writer is saying. Go back to any sections that need clarification.
o On a second reading, pay attention to what the writer(s) of the CDC site is doing by describing the writer’s strategy.
Draft the essay:
The essay should include:
1. Header, essay title, heading in GCU Style
2. An introduction paragraph with a thesis statement
3. At least three body paragraphs
4. A conclusion paragraph
Also, you will need to include a References page and in-text citations formatted in GCU Style with at least TWO scholarly sources outside of class texts.
Submit this assignment to your instructor in the assignment drop box AND post this draft as an attachment in the Module 2 Rhetorical Analysis Peer Review forum
by Day 3 of Week 2.