A key component of performance improvement involves data analysis and identifying positive or negative trends in performance. When managing large amounts of data over time, it is essential that a control chart be used to identify the presence of a statistically significant trend.
Research Project: You are required to construct a control chart for a clinical metric or outcome at a hospital or skilled nursing facility. Include the following:
- Choose the clinical metric that you intend to measure (e.g., catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTI), patient falls, or readmissions within 30 days).
- Create a control chart that is appropriate for the metric that you are measuring.
- Explain how the targeted outcome was selected (benchmark or historical data) and why.
- You will need to describe how the data were collected and how they were incorporated into the construction of the control chart.
- Explain how the control chart can be used to identify positive and negative trends in performance.
- Deliverable Length: 5-7 pages; minimum 5 academic/professional references published in last 5 yrs.
- Summarize the case and the verdict.
- Based on your review, do you agree with the court’s decision? Defend/discuss your answer.
- What [if any] practice-related standard of care issues were breached.
- Identify a risk management action plan to prevent this type of issue(s) from reoccurring.
The case must be written in APA format with a minimum of four (4) current scholarly references (textbook does NOT apply), with in-text citations and no more than 4 pages. Your paper will have 4 headings – 1 for each question.