Create a 15-minute presentation (3–4 pages) that examines the moral and ethical issues that occurred when triaging these two patients and the best practices for managing this in the future.
Divide your draft into a number of talking points that you can summarize neatly. Keep in mind that an oral presentation requires slightly different language than an essay. The aim is to communicate your message so keep sentences simple and focus on the key points you want to deliver. Address the following in your presentation:
- Explain the health care policies and protocols that are in place that direct triage care in an emergency situation.
- Explain how health care disparities impact treatment decisions.
- Identify the health care policies that are in place that direct care for uninsured individuals. Is there a difference in how these individuals are triaged?
- Describe the moral and ethical challenges nurses can face when following hospital policies and protocols. Is there a conflict when a severely injured person is also uninsured?
- Recommend evidence-based strategies that should be applied for managing the care of uninsured and indigent population.