AACN Competencies and the Walden Mission, Vision, and Outcomes
According to a Gallup poll completed in 2013, 82% of respondents indicated that they believe nurses have high to very high levels of honesty and ethical standards, and nursing has been rated as the most trusted profession for several years (Gallup, 2010). What other values and characteristics are associated with the nursing profession? Which ones are the most professionally, academically, and personally significant to you?
For this Discussion, you will consider the alignment of qualities outlined by the AACN with those promoted by Walden University.
You will examine the AACN document appropriate for your degree path and consider how you can incorporate either the Essentials or the Quality Indicators into your academic endeavors.
- Consider the competencies presented in The Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice (for DNP students) or The Research-Focused Doctoral Program in Nursing: Pathways to Excellence (for PhD students) in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Examine Walden University’s mission, vision, and university outcomes.
- Review the media presentation Introduction: The Doctor of Nursing Practice, which includes Dr. Joan Stanley’s comments about the AACN’s vision for the DNP degree.
- Identify commonalities among the concepts presented in each of these items.
- Think about your professional and academic goals. Consider how Walden’s standpoint and the AACN’s perspective fit with your objectives. Based on this information, what ideas do you have for incorporating a commitment to social change into your academic and professional plans?
By Wednesday 6/7/17, post 550 words essay in APA format with 3 references from the list below, that include the level one headings as numbered below:
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
1) Describe one or more significant ways in which Walden’s standpoint (i.e., vision, mission, social change message, and outcomes) relates to the AACN competencies as well as to your professional and academic goals.
2) Articulate a plan for incorporating social change into two of your professional and/or academic goals.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). (2006). The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. Washington, DC:Author. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/DNP/pdf/Essentials.pdf
[For DNP students ONLY]
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). (2006). The research-focused doctoral program in nursing: Pathways to excellence. Washington, DC: Author. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/education-resources/PhDPosition.pdf
“The Research-Focused Doctoral Program in Nursing: Pathways to Excellence” (pp. 4–16)
This section of the AACN document outlines the roles and expected learning outcomes for PhD students, and core curricular elements included in PhD programs.
Walden University Student Readiness Orientation
Access the Student Readiness Orientation (SRO) through the “My Courses” section of Blackboard. It will be available to you for one year. You can find the same information and more in the e-Guide, a companion website to the SRO. The e-Guide is available throughout your time at Walden. It can be accessed through the MyWalden Portal.
Walden University. (2011). Student publications: Vision, mission, and goals. Retrieved from http://catalog.waldenu.edu/
Select the current version of the “Walden University Student Handbook” from the drop-down menu.
In the left navigation bar, click “Introduction and Legal Information.”
Then click “Vision, Mission, and Goals.”
Read the information on the Walden University webpage, paying particular attention to Walden’s Vision, Mission, Goals, Social Change, and Outcomes message.
Document: Becoming a Successful Online Learner (PDF) (See attached PDF file)
This document contains valuable information, tips, and strategies for becoming a successful online learner in the DNP program.
Document: Citing a Discussion Posting in APA Style (PDF) (See attached PDF file)
The information in this document focuses on how to cite a Discussion posting or response in APA style.
Document: Technical Tips for Learning at Walden (PDF) (See attached PDF file)
Tips for working with various technologies, such as word-processing software, online classroom features, and your myWalden page, are addressed in this document.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011b). Introduction: The doctor of nursing practice [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu.
Please review this media in the Week 1 Resources.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2012a). Effective online communication: Scholarly writing in online discussion [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 5 minutes.
This media program presents valuable tips for writing scholarly Discussion posts.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2012f). Tips for effective online composition and communication [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 7 minutes.
This media program provides essential insights and information regarding the differences between online and in-person communication, the importance of tone in your e-communications, and how to write effective e-mail messages. All of these skills are essential to your success as an online learner.
Westwood, C. (2010). Six simple steps to ensure you achieve your aims. Nursing Management, 17(4), 28–29.
Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases.